Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Injury on the mountain

There is little doubt in my mind that snowboarding is inherently dangerous but yet I keep going back for more. Melanie had called it quits and decided to warm up in the lodge after taking one too many falls. I was taking a few runs on my own and let my guard down to enjoy myself. The instant that you let your mind wander, you catch an edge and the next thing you know you're cradling your arm waiting for the pain to subside.
The stubborn patient that I am...I tried to work through the pain and diagnozed myself with a sprain only to find out 4 days later that I had indeed broken my scaphoid. I only pursued an xray when I noticed some late bruising of my wrist. Pretty innocuous looking isn't it? Luckily it is a nondisplaced fracture but the tenuous blood supply can lead to complications of non-union and avascular necrosis. To minimize this, these fractures require prolonged immobilization or early surgical fixation to hopefully get me mobilizing it more quickly and on the road to recovery.
So tomorrow I am in the capable hands of Dr. Butters who plans on placing a single screw across the fracture percutaneously. Wish me luck

2 Comments:

Blogger Shanti said...

Sorry to hear about the wrist. Good luck with the immobilization and hope for a quick recovery.

Snowboarding hurts a lot more than skiing. But it sure is fun in good conditions.

11:41 PM  
Blogger Misha said...

The surgery went well...I now have a pretty sizable piece of hardware in my wrist and a club for a right hand

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home