
Late last night there was a total lunar eclipse. Out here in Oregon we enjoyed perfect conditions as it occured late at night well before sunrise and during a crisp clear night. I was tipped off by a friend in Seattle (thanks TJ). It took me a while to figure out how to capture this image. The moon travels surprisingly fast across the sky. These three images are overlayed on the same exposure only one minute apart (3 sec exposure each). This was during the total eclipse so the moon is only illuminated by the redish light sneaking around the edges of the earth (through the atmosphere). I didn't get much sleep but it was well worth it to capture these beautiful images.

As the earth orbited out of the way of the light it started illuminating the upper left part of the moon with brilliant white. It was quite spectacular to see.
3 Comments:
Those are some really cool pictures...thank you, Misha.
I tried taking some pictures of the moon in preparation for the event, but then set my alarm clock wrong. I did get up for the Aurigid meteors but they were hard to capture.
Nice photos of the eclipsed moon. We are having orange sun right now in Northern California. Too many particulates in the air from wildfires in the sierra and Morgan Hill.
Glad you liked them... They took lots of trial and error. I could not figure out how to make it take multiple exposures with the timer. Ideally I would have set it to take 3 or 4 exposures on the timer interval for every 1 minute. I'm sure I could have just set the timer interval and then photoshopped it but that would have made too much sense...
Post a Comment
<< Home